Friday, December 26

Last Minute Soup.. House Bound


It’s the day after Christmas and all through the house,
We’re going nowhere, the Midwest has been doused.

The snow has been falling
The rain’s freezing too.

If you want to go somewhere,
The Midwest’s not for you.

We were off to Grandmas,
but the Toll Road was closed,

No present swapping,
the kids were morose.

Now it’s dinner time and I’ve got cooking to do.
No Grandma meal for us now,
What’s on hand just will do.
***********************************************

I read a funny “dinner disaster” post by my friend Gina that discussed her challenging Christmas Eve. It was just before dinner and it reminded me that all of us have our own way around the kitchen. Gina is a freezer queen. She pre-makes, defrosts and has each meal for her large family easily at her finger tips. It is inspiring. I advise you read her blog, she’s a homeschooling, master-mom.

Over here, a little south, I’m a little more relaxed. So, I thought I’d share how I come up with dinner using a completely different method.


I spy an onion half, on the counter, I never put it away after lunch.
In the fridge lives a pot of vegetables. My family will groan if they recognize it, again.
We had roast chicken for Christmas. There’s about half of it left. Pull it off the bones.
I open the pantry and a bag of noodles, shoved in the bottom, falls out on my foot.
We hosted a Christmas party a while back.
Nobody eats celery sticks but me and the baby.
An open bottle of white wine remains in the bottom of the fridge door.

While playing the piano for my toddler this afternoon, he left and “chopped” up the loaf of bread that was on the counter.

So, that’s our dinner...

Fill the pot 1/2 full with water.
Chop the onion and the celery.
Dump the chicken and the wine.
Crunch the noodles before putting in a few handfuls.
Add some color with the veges.
Poultry seasoning and chicken base.

Ah! Croutons!
Put the mashed bread in a bowl,
Pour oil, sprinkle italian seasoning and garlic salt.
Bake.

Write this blog while the soup boils.
(Husband saves croutons while I forget about them and announces the the soup is done.)

A great dinner.
Chicken soup with homemade croutons.

Time to eat!

No comments: