Wednesday, December 17

Grandma's Fudge - No Marshmallow Allowed!


In the summers while I was still a child, I visited my Grandmother on the east coast. She was a German immigrant and came here to this country at 17.

Things I remember about her include her 5:30 a.m. stolen making binges, and her cooking fudge in a pot on the stove. We always waited to see if the batch was going to “turn out”. I don’t remember any not “turning out”, but I was a kid, not a connoisseur. It was a lucky and smart kid who “helped” grandma in the kitchen, because a lot of fudge stuck to that copper bottom Revereware pot.

Grandma was not a recipe person. I followed here with a notepad once in a while, but there didn’t seem to be any concrete measurements to write down. When she died the recipe seemed lost.

Twenty-five years later, I’m now a candy baking, cookie making expert myself and I’ve discovered a recipe for the “Famous Fudge”. All I could remember about Grandma’s fudge recipe was that no marshmallow fluff ever entered her kitchen. I wanted my fudge to be smooth and silky. None were, until this.....which I’ve aptly renamed “Grandma’s Fudge”

In a medium size pot over low heat combine
1/4 c. light corn syrup
2/3 c. half and half
2 cups of sugar
1 square unsweetened chocolate
(get 1/4 c. butter and 1-2 tsp. vanilla out for later)

Butter the bottom of an 8x8” pan.

Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved. If crystals are sticking to the side of the pan, cover and let them wash down. You can also keep up on this with a rubber spatula. You don’t want remaining crystals on the side after your fudge comes up to temperature.

Cook to soft ball stage 238 degrees.

Next you'll need
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla (you can put more, but I prefer less)

Remove from the heat. Dump the butter on the top and then the vanilla.
DO NOT STIR!!!!!

Let the mixture cool to 110 degrees. Do not let it get lower that this.

The old way.... sit at your kitchen table with a wooden spoon. Call the strongest person in your house and have them stir that pot until the fudge loses its sheen. You’ll know it when you see it. You are adding some air to it.

My new way..... dump that batch of fudge into your Kitchen Aid and let it work! Stir it at low speed until it turns a lighter color brown, losing it’s sheen.
Pour it into the pan and butter your fingers to spread it out to the corners.
This fudge improves with age. I like it best a few days later, that’s the way it was when it came in the mail from Grandma at Christmas!

Merry Christmas from our kitchen.




1 comment:

Anne said...

Well, I can now tell you why it sometimes doesn't "turn out". Do not go wrap presents while waiting for it to cool... If it drops below 110 degrees, the sugar crystalizes again and it will be gritty. Better to start stiring at 112 than waiting until 107 degrees.