Monday, January 19

Mommy's Learning to Read! What you can learn from a 3-Year-Old

Homeschooling is like being on a sailboat, we get to hold the schedule that directs the boat, but a big wind can take you off in another direction! Sometimes the joy of seeing my kids learn just brings tears to my eyes (pause to get a tissue), and .. once in a while the frustration brought on by my imagined disappointments brings me to my knees.  (Of course, if I’d been there in the FIRST place, I’d had a better plan to begin with... listen more, talk less.)   So, as a homeschooler, I live in a world where I am completely in control of everything that goes on.... are you laughing yet? Ug Hmmm.... Let’s start again. So, I live in a world where I know I’m not really in control of anything, but I make diligent, daily efforts to pattern the day so that we learn, worship through our daily life, keep a somewhat clean house, and cook - sometimes creatively. 

What do we rearrange our schedule for? Well, we’re certainly not reclusive, though I sometimes dream of it, and since I believe that we are called to spread the gospel and encourage others to live for Christ I have come to manage our lives around my mission of serving God in whatever ways we can make fit in. I have too many ideas and too little time! You know, that’s the blessing about being a homeschooler --- you can drop anything just to serve even more people! Occasionally, I must escape.

I’m so tired thinking about it all, that I had to start a new paragraph. Well, in the midst of all that joy and bliss, I’ve had a funny week with my 3-year-old, Jack.   Before bed, we’ve been reading a little book called “ABC Bible”. It’s one of those little gift books and has a lett
er and teeny little Bible story snippet under it. (The kind I put at the bottom of the bookshelf, because I’m sure I’ll probably never read them!) I’ve been homeschooling for four years now. My first child could read when I brought him home, my second child didn’t want to read anything until he was about 6.5.  He now reads better than my first did.

So, when child #3 discovered books, I wondered what new adventures he would bring. He’s loved having stories since about two and a half. (Yes, before that he was read almost nothing  individually-- meaning
no baby books, just a day full of listening to history, Bible and what the other kids learned). Now, he has discovered that bottom shelf and finds those little dusty books FASCINATING.

So.... I’d say here that Jack is learning to read, but instead he seems to think he needs to teach ME to read. Every night I subject myself to this. I get the ABC Bible book with Aa on the first page, then Bb on the second, and so on. As we turn the pages, he “discusses” the letters, almost scientifically...
"Ah HA, there are TWO A’s on this page, Mom. A BIG one and a little one.” Then, I turn the page. He looks at me, waiting for ME to say the letter.  If I’m right, the drama continues.  He exclaims, “THAT’S RIGHT MOM! (clapping) Good job Mom! That IS a B, and there are TWO of them.!” So, this can go on 26 times.
For those of you who think homeschooling is just something you could never do, perhaps you’d like to borrow Jack. I’m sure he’d be happy to show you how to do it with enthusiasm!

1 comment:

nomore said...

aww very cute child #3! I love moments like that!!

yep, Fl has some crazy "winter" weather... in the mornings you put the sweater/jacket on, by noon you strip the heavy weight off, and come about 6 pm you want the sweater back on, LOL! At night I put the heater on 70 degrees and that does us good :O)

I've never seen snow... I can't to see it one day :O)

In Him, Deanna